Living in the Midwest has its perks… like unpredictable spring thunderstorms! A flooded basement can result in thousands of dollars in damage and potential loss of important and cherished items.
The Chicago suburbs are notorious for not being prepared for spring flooding. It’s important to have your sump pump checked before these storms come your way and Flatley’s is here to help.
First off, what is a sump pump?
Sump pumps are devices normally installed in the lowest part of a house where water can get to, like a basement or crawl space. There are two different kinds of pumps: submersible sump pumps and pedestal sump pumps.
Their main purpose is to prevent floods in those areas and the process is simple. When it is raining outside, water is redirected from your home and collected in the sump basin. This water is then sent from the home and out to a discharge location.
Check out our sump pump services and call your local professional plumber to make sure your sump pump is in working order before spring storms roll in.
5 helpful sump pump tips
The following sump pump tips are critical to the safety of your home, belongings, and community.
1. If your sump pump is connected to your washing machine, it is recommended that you have your pump and pipes checked and cleared yearly. If it is not connected, every 6 months is recommended.
2. Do not drain your sump pump into a sewer drain or basement floor drain. Putting additional water into the public sewer during flooding can contribute to sewage backflow.
3. The discharge location should be at least 20 feet away from the home to prevent water from draining back into your own property, neighbor’s properties, window wells, or into a residential septic system.
4. Make sure the pump switch is not restricted. If it is, the pump will not automatically turn on in the case of a flood.
5. Be sure to have your backup pump and battery checked, too. If you don’t have one, it is important you consider this option. Backup sump pumps ensure protection during a power outage and keep your home safe. If you don’t have one, check out our article on why your home needs a backup sump pump.
Flatley’s is here for you
Staying ahead of the storm season will give you peace of mind and protect your home. Call Flatley’s Plumbing Express today